OpenLaszlo 3.0 has a number of new features, including:
- SOLO deployment option - which allows the UI to be delivered directly to the user without server interaction
- Unicode support
- Drawing API - an API which enables the creation of circles, ovals, fills and lines and provides the foundation for charting and graphing components
- Dynamic libraries - to add flexibility and reduce the startup time involved with OpenLaszlo
- Performance optimizations to take advantage of the capabilities of Flash 6 and 7
- A new name, from Laszlo Presentation Server to OpenLaszlo, to underscore the open source license covering the OpenLaszlo project
Laszlo has been used for application interfaces as a replacement for straight HTML applications. A number of new technologies such as Ajax are competing in the same space.